Image Map

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Let's Get Moving!

For the last year I took on a new adventure as a Kenan Fellow.  I was honored to be a Kenan Fellow during 2012.  Last summer I began my adventure as I participated in an externship with North Carolina Center for Global Logistics in Greensboro, North Carolina.  I was able to see first hand how logistics plays a key role in our economic development.  I traveled all over the state learning about logistics.  I went to Wilmington to the port and was even able to go up in a crane.  I watched how the cargo containers were loaded and unloaded off the ships.  I was able to travel around the Piedmont and learn how the railroad works with small companies and million dollar corporations.  I even got to ride with the engineer in the front of the train through a few stops as he unloaded and loaded at various supplies.  Another stop on my adventure was the Old Dominion Freight Line.  ODFL is a trucking company based in Thomasville, NC.  At ODFL, I learned how the trucking company works.  My class also adopted one of the ODFL truck drivers as a buddy to our class.  I really had a ton of first hand experiences.  It was a great summer!!! 

Once the externship was completed I started writing a variety of lesson plans incorporating these experiences and adventures.  Part of the lessons are now available on Learn NC.  If you have never used Learn NC, it is a site that has wonderful resources for teachers.  Check it out!
 
Here is the first lesson I wrote...


It contains detailed plans for a week with an interactive PowerPoint, handouts, assessments, and rubrics.  My kids loved the activities.

Please let me know what you think!  I will share more later about the Kenan Fellows and the other lessons I created.  Hope you can use them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment